30.3.05

Are you not ready yet!



The end of my Pad is fast approaching - only 12 more days to go before it is all over. Since I just bought a new camera and a whole collection of lenses to go with it, I think that I might continue - although perhaps without the same dedication as before. I must say this about the PaD project: it is addictive, and the need to capture something every day has certainly opened my eyes up to things that before I would have simply not paid any attention to. It is a marvellous gift to receive: to notice the beauty in plain everyday objects, such as a pebble on the beach, a shadow in a puddle, the paint peeling off an old mortice lock and moments with my friends and with my family.

I love it and the way that it has unleashed a creative side that in my everyday life of work and travel I had forgotten I had. I also love the way that it has let me capture moments in my life that otherwise would have been lost. When I look at my old PaD images, and read the often lengthy captions, I am able to remember the day and everything that happened - where I went, what I ate, who I met. It has truly enabled me to capture time.

I am also in awe at many of the wonderful images that you place here, that give me an insight into your lives and worries - that is one of the most wonderful things about Pbase, and which sets it above the other image hosting sites.

This brings me nicely to the people that I have met, both virtually and physically. Pedro welcomed me, a complete stranger, into his home to share moments of his life in his beautiful town with his family and friends. A friendship has been formed that I believe will last the test of time.

Then there is Gavin, who lives less than a mile from my house - and almost practically on the same street! A nicer person you could not hope to meet, a man whose passion for photography is infectious, and whose ability to make Dundee look attractive is astonishing. He really is a fine photographer, generous to a fault and a very good friend.

Zak has been my greatest inspiration, though. Zak lives on the island on which I spent the first 18 years of my life, and where most of my family still live. I met him through an Isle of Bute forum, and he inspired me to upload some pictures that I had taken during a trip to the island. It all kind of took off from there. And how can I not mention Andy, aka Northstar! Andy is one of those rare people that it is impossible to dislike. He is both funny and wise, and his family are a joy to be with. Then there are the blutakbeasts who lurk about, and who are willing to share some of their stories with me at times when I severely lack inspiration.

Virtually, I believe that I have made many, many friends - far too many to name, but you all know who you are. Hopefully one day I will get to meet some of you in person - I'll start with Europe and work my way across to the States and Canada, then to NZ and Oz.

The past few weeks have been very difficult for me, as I have not been able to get around very much. I hope my condition improves before spring really hits us, because I want to be able to show you Scotland at its very best. But you have all been wonderfully patient and kind. So I want to say a big thank you, and welcome you to my boudoir.... So form an orderly queue and no pushing! (PS Now you know what Scotsmen wear under their kilts: great big pink wigs - only just big enough too!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home