29.3.05

pretty in pink, or fabulous in fuschia?



I'm an awful worrier, apparently. I was up bright and early today, for a busy morning was on the cards. No sooner had I switched the radio on than the doorbell rang. Who could it be at 7.30am, I wondered! Well, I'll tell you. It was the postman with a recorded delivery for me. My 50mm f/1.8 arrived! However, that was a pleasure that would have to wait, I had other more pressing things to do.

First of all, I managed to get the old tumble dryer out of the porch that has been its home for the past 14 years. I did so by simply opening the porch door, manoeuvring the machine to the top of the stair, and pushing. Boy did it make a noise as it tumbled down the stone steps to land - miraculously in one piece and right side up - on the patio. Next task was perhaps the most important, as it would set me in the right frame of mind for the coming tribulation: breakfast and a double bill of Everybody Loves Raymond.

With the rest of the family gone, I had time to shave, cut my hair, shower, post the Harry Potter book and catch the bus into town for my meeting with Ted Heath. I will say this... he (and his colleagues down at the DWP) were a very pleasant bunch who gave me some excellent news. I am now awaiting a fat government cheque for the time I have been ill - backdated to the beginning of February. I suspected things were going to go well when the assessment officer's first words to me were: 'Hello, Mr. Jones. You are entitled to Incapacity Benefit.' Isn't it great living in a country with a welfare state that works (sometimes)! Not only that, but the piece de resistance is that one week before I am finally well enough to work again (i.e., the week before my last sick line expires), I have to contact the Job Centre and arrange to attend a 'getting back to work after being ill' seminar that lasts two hours. The incentive? Two hundred pounds worth of them!

With all this good news ringing in my ears, I was thinking about giving my new lens an outing - but then remembered the tumble dryer delivery. On arrival home, no sign of said appliance, or of a note saying they had been. What there was, though, was a package containing a strange pink thing that is presently touring Scotland as part of its round the world journey.

Gavin nipped up for a coffee and a blether, and to model the infamous wig for my new lens to capture (see picture). He's letting me hold on to the Tokina 28mm f/2.8 in the meantime - but I must say that the 50mm f/1.8 is quite probably about to become my new favourite (although there will always be space in my heart for the 28mm).

I'm still waiting for the tumble dryer, by the way. I suspect that they won't be delivering it today. Otherwise the day was a good one: I'm entitled to get money from the government, I got a new lens, and the wig's here (although it didn't manage to bring any of that San Francisco sunshine with it).

Click here for the Wiggy Stu gallery
Click here to see the Wiggy World Tour

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home